We care about the health and wellbeing of our students and staff.
This web page will be regularly updated with the latest information about COVID-19 (coronavirus).
How is AMES Australia managing COVID-19?
We work closely with the Department of Education and Training (DET) and the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Department of Home Affairs (Home Affairs) and Department of Education, Skills and Employment (DESE) to plan for, and respond to, the current and potential impact of the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) on our clients, students, staff and the wider community.
Following advice and direction from the DHHS, we are undertaking a range of measures to minimise the health risks for our students and staff including:
- implementing social distancing measures, such as increasing the space between student desks and offices
- postponing large student and community gatherings and events, or rearranging these to smaller or online events
- encouraging good hygiene practices amongst clients, students and staff, including washing hands regularly and increasing access to hand sanitiser and alcohol wipes, including providing information in first language.
- increasing routine cleaning activities in class, program and office areas that involve close contact or high-risk groups
- providing regular information to students, staff and our business and industry partners.
Have any AMES Australia services been impacted?
AMES Australia continues to operate across our settlement, education, visa and employment services. Some services have been modified to ensure that we can continue to assist our clients and students.
You will be contacted by your teacher if your class is impacted.
Generally student timetables for classes held at AMES Australia sites have not been impacted. If you have concerns or are self-isolating you can contact 13 26 37 to find out how to participate in class and stay in touch.
- Some classes held in community centres and libraries have been temporarily suspended. Contact 13 26 37 for further information.
- Jindi Community Centre, Whittlesea
- Glen Waverly Library
- Clayton Library
- Arndell Park Community Centre, Williams Landing
- Hampton Park Library
- Endeavour Hills Community Centre
- Endeavour Hills Library
- The Multicultural Hub at 506 Elizabeth Street Melbourne has temporarily closed. For further information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Sorghum Sisters African Catering social enterprise will be temporarily closed.
Where possible and on advice from DESE, we will be limiting face-to face appointments. Your Work Broker will contact you via phone to schedule and conduct the appointment. We recommend you still attend appointments via phone and your mutual obligations remain.
Any questions, please contact your local AMES Australia Jobactive site or via 13 26 37.
What do I do if I feel unwell?
We request you remain at home.
If you are unwell and suspect you may have COVID-19 (cold and flu like symptoms, including fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue and breathing difficulties), we advise you seek medical advice. See Department of Health and Human Services Health Alerts for further information.
If you are scheduled to attend an appointment with your AMES Australia Case Manager, Work Broker or Employment Adviser please phone 13 26 37 to advise them of your circumstance.
What if I believe I have been in contact with someone who has COVID-19?
You must contact AMES Australia on 13 26 37 or Enquiries@ames.net.au and inform us of your situation.
You must self-isolate for a minimum of 14 days see Department of Health and Human Services Health alerts for further information.
What happens if AMES Australia has to close temporarily?
If we are requested by the Commonwealth or Victorian Government to close or we have an instance of suspected or confirmed COVID-19 face to face class at that site will be cancelled. You may be able to engage in online, distance or at home learning.
If you are studying at AMES Australia teacher will continue to communicate with you and inform of when face to face class resumes.
Contact 13 26 37 for advise on other services.