70 Years of Welcome Artwork Commission
Migrant and refugee settlement agency AMES Australia is calling for expressions of interest (EOIs) from migrant and refugee artists living in Australia who are interested in creating a major artwork to celebrate 70 years of its work supporting migrants and refugees to settle in Australia.
AMES Australia supports more than 30,000 people each year to settle in Australia through its settlement, education and training, and employment programs under its vision of ‘full participation for all in a diverse and cohesive society’.
AMES Australia is looking for an artwork, to have on prominent display at one of AMES Australia’s sites. Images of the artwork will be used to promote AMES Australia and its work through media engagement and at relevant events.
The artwork will reflect the organisation’s 70 years of welcoming and supporting migrants and refugees to settle in Australia. AMES Australia will provide information and images relating to its seven decades of work as reference material. Some or all of these images should be incorporated into the final artwork in some way.
The artwork should include a representation of the diverse communities AMES Australia has supported over the years as well as the contributions of these people and communities to Australia’s development as a culturally enriched multicultural society.
The artwork may take the form of painting, drawing, photography, collage, or sculpture.
2D artwork should be a minimum of 1.5m (h) x 1m (w) and no greater than 1.5m (h) x 1.8m (w). 2D artwork may be in multiple panels but collectively they should not exceed 1.5x1.8m.
3D (sculptural) artwork should be a minimum of 1.5m (h) and not exceed x 1m (w) x 0.5m (d).
The selected artist will be paid $3,000 ex GST for the creation of the artwork.
Interested artists are invited to submit an EOI including:
- Your details including Name, Nationality, Postal Address, ABN (if you do not have an ABN and are successful you will need to complete a statement by a supplier form)
- A brief background on your artistic career: applicable qualifications, exhibition history, any awards or prizes if relevant (150 words)
- Artist statement including the ideas and concepts within your general art practice (150 words)
- Proposal for the artwork you intend to make. Please include medium and materials and how you will use the reference images provided by AMES Australia. Please explain what the final artwork will look like. Be as descriptive as possible so that the Committee can get a good sense of the vision you have for your proposed artwork (300 words)
- Five examples of recent work. Your examples should be reflective of the style of artwork you are proposing to make. Still images should be titled in the following format First-Name_Surname_Artwork-Title_Year.jpg
- List of examples of artwork provided with details (title, year, medium, dimensions)
- CV (limited to one page)
- Links to your website or any relevant social media accounts
The commissioned artist will be selected by AMES Australia’s Heartlands Art Project Committee.
Key Dates and Contacts
EOIs should be submitted by 5pm, 6 January 2022 using this link https://form.jotform.com/213418008356856
The successful artist will be advised on 10 January 2022.
Final artwork due by 10 February 2022 to be launched at AMES Australia 70 Years of Welcome celebratory Dinner.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*The Committee’s decision is final and no further correspondence will be entered into.