Health and Wellbeing
Victoria is the place where the people are the healthiest in the world, a place where future generations thrive.
Below is some important information you will need to know.
In an emergency
For all emergency situations, the number to call is 000.The Triple Zero (000) service is the quickest way to get the right emergency service to help you. You can contact Police, Fire or Ambulance in life threatening or emergency situations.
Assess the situation
- Is someone seriously injured or in need of urgent medical help?
- Is your life or property being threatened?
- Have you just witnessed a serious accident or crime?
If you answered YES call Triple Zero (000).
Make your call
- Stay calm and call Triple Zero from a safe place.
- When your call is answered you will be asked if you need Police, Fire or Ambulance.
- If requested by the operator, state your town and location.
- Your call will be directed to the service you asked for.
- When connected to the emergency service, stay on the line, speak clearly and answer the questions.
- Don't hang up until the operator tells you to do so.
Interim Health Care prior to receiving Medicare (Visa 600 & 449)
The Victorian Government is committed to ensuring that refugees access appropriate healthcare.
Displaced Ukrainian nationals in Victoria without Medicare can receive care at a Victorian public hospital for free.
This does not cover private hospitals, local doctors (GPs), or private medical specialists.
If possible, please bring this guidance note and one of the following documents with you to the hospital:
- your Ukrainian passport with recent date stamp
- a letter from the Department of Home Affairs confirming your visa application (visa subclass 449 or 786)
- a letter from a community support organisation, AMES Australia or refugee health provider explaining your situation.
To help hospital staff provide you with the right care, bring any medical records you have.
Tell staff if you are pregnant or think you might be pregnant. Also bring your Low-Income Health Care Card if you have one. Tell hospital staff if you need a free interpreter and your preferred language.
If you require urgent dental are medical prescriptions, please contact your case manager to receive assistance and guidance.
Health Care & Medicare (Visa 786)
When you receive your 786 visa, you must immediately apply for Medicare. This can be done here
How Medicare works
When you enrol in Medicare, we pay some or all of the costs of your necessary health care.
Keep in mind, Medicare does not pay for all medical services.