Important Information and Settlement Journey

Applying for AMES Humanitarian Settlement Program Support

If you:

  • are a Displaced Ukrainian Citizen already living in the Australian community or planning to travel to Australia; and
  • have a subclass 600, 449 or 786 Visa, you may be eligible to receive support from AMES Australia through the Humanitarian Settlement Program (HSP).

please contact and request to apply.  The HSP Intake team will send you a Referral form, and request copies of your visa grant letters and passports.

Once you’re registered with AMES:

We will send your application to the Department of Home Affairs to seek approval for HSP support with AMES.  If you are approved, you will be contacted by an AMES Case Manager.  If you are not contacted within a week, please see instructions below on how to book an appointment with us at AMES.

Offshore Arrivals:

If you are offshore and have been approved for travel to Australia, please contact the HSPIntake@ames.netau mailbox.  We will still ask you to register for HSP services by completing the referral form and providing us with a copy of your passport and visa documentation, but you will also need to provide us with the following:

  • A copy of your travel itinerary
  • Tell us if you need accomodation on arrival in a short term accommodation facility
  • Tell us if you need transport assistance from the airport to that short term accommodation facility


Booking an Appointment with AMES

If you have already applied for HSP support with AMES and you are wanting to make contact with your case manager, you can book an appointment.  Appointments can be conducted over the phone or face to face. 

Coming to the AMES office without an Appointment:

If you come to our CBD office without an appointment, our reception team will book and appointment for you and you will have to return for the scheduled appointment time.  Make sure to call in advance before coming to the office. You can book an appointment using two options:

  1. Send an email to and request and appointment booking with your Case Manager.Mention in the email if you are happy to be contacted by phone, or if you can come in to our office for a face to face appointment.The address for an office appointment is 506 Elizabeth Street.
  2. You can call the Multicultural Hub reception on 0438 001 537.  The reception team will book an appointment for you.

Interpreters: If you think you need an interpreter to speak or meet with an AMES staff member, please request this at the time of booking.  There are limited Ukrainian/Russian interpreters available, however we will do our best to call one.


Assistance with AMES Short Term Accommodation (STA)

If you are living in the Australian community and require assistance with short term accommodation in an AMES managed facility, please contact AMES on the details above and book an appointment to discuss the process.  

AMES in partnership with Scape in Carlton provide a share accommodation building in 557 Swanston Street, Carlton to Displaced Ukrainians.  Displaced Ukrainians who are eligible for HSP support can get free short term accommodation for their first 28 days of arrival in to Australia or free short term accommodation until Centrelink payments commence.

When entering the Scape accommodation, residents will sign an agreement stating how much they will pay once their Centrelink benefits begin.  Payment for the short term accommodation will be automatically deducted through the resident’s Centrelink payments.

Note regarding visitors to Scape accommodation:

Visitors are not allowed to enter the Scape building due to COVID Safety precautions.  If you have family, friends or loved ones entering the Scape, you will not be able to assist them with their bags in to their rooms.  Any visits will need to be arranged outside of the building.

The Scape address is 557 Swanston Street, Carlton, 3053.


AMEP Enrollment

Ukrainian nationals on 449 Visa are eligible to enroll in AMEP.  Once you have your 449 Visa, you can make contact with your local AMEP provider to enroll in AMEP.  If you need to search for your local AMEP provider, you can visit the AMEP - Find a Centre website

It is best to call the AMEP provider in advance to explain your situation and then try to book an enrolment.

When you enroll, you will need to ensure that you have your ID, Visa details and a COVID Vaccination certificate. 

If you are registered with AMES and you need support to register with AMEP, please contact us to make an appointment. 


Applications for 786 Visa - For People on a Subclass 600 Visa

The Australian Government is making available a subclass 786 Temporary Humanitarian Concern (THC) visa for all Ukrainian nationals. The visa will be valid for three years and allow people to work, study and access Medicare.

There is no visa application process or application fees associated with this visa.

To understand more about applying for a 786 Visa, please visit -