How to access the NDIS
Before you begin any NDIS support services with AMES, you need to register with the NDIS. The easiest way to do this is by heading to their website and following these steps:
1. Find out if you are eligible
To be eligible for NDIS, you must:
- Have a permanent or significant disability
- Be aged between 7 and 65 years old
- Live in Australia
- Be a citizen, or have a Permanent Visa, or a Special Category Visa
2. Complete an Access Request Form (ARF) or make a verbal request by calling 1800 800 110
You will need to compile evidence of your disability. This may require you to talk to your treating healthcare professionals, such as your current GP.
3. Return the Access Request Form to the NDIA
4. Attend a Planning Meeting
If approved for an NDIS Plan, you will attend a planning meeting with a Local Area Coordinator (LAC), early childhood partner, or an NDIA planner
5. Ask that your NDIS Plan identify that you require the support of a Support Coordinator, or other services offered by AMES.
At AMES, we specialise in connecting migrants and people with language barriers to services that help them thrive. But it doesn’t matter what age you are, or your nationality or background, we can help anyone access and understand the NDIS.
To find out more, visit the NDIS website: https://www.ndis.gov.au/