When you first begin your NDIS journey, there’s lots of information to take in and things to organise. The process can feel a little overwhelming, especially if English isn’t your first language.
That’s why AMES offers Support Coordination. It’s a special program that matches people who have an NDIS plan with one of our friendly NDIS experts. Known as a Support Coordinator, it’s this person's job to help understand and achieve the goals in your Plan. They’ll help you apply for services and be there to support you throughout your NDIS plan.
What is NDIS Support Coordination?
Support Coordination is a program that helps people with disability understand and access their NDIS plan. You’ll be assigned a Support Coordinator, who will work closely with you to reach your goals, helping you build skills and knowledge, so that you feel more confident. Eventually, you might even feel confident enough to manage your own NDIS plan.
Your Support Coordinator will:
- Help you understand your NDIS Plan
- Let you know what services you can access and what is most suitable for your needs
- Help you select services that are within your budget
- Negotiate prices for the services that you select
- Assist you to access your chosen services
- Help you become more confident, so that you can manage your NDIS Plan on your own terms
What services and programs will my Support Coordinator help me access?
Your Support Coordinator will help you understand the right services, activities and resources to help you reach your personal goals , as specified in your plan. These could include:
- Physical therapy
- Group outings & social events
- Job skills programs
- Accommodation support
- Assisted living support
How does Support Coordination work?
One of the benefits of NDIS Support Coordination with AMES, is that once you get started, the process is simple.
- Meet your Support Coordinator: Your Support Coordinator will get to know your needs and goals, and work with you to develop a strategy to achieve them
- Connect with supports: You Support Coordinator will assist you in finding and connecting you with services and negotiating prices
- Review you progress: Your Support Coordinator will continue to work with you to see how you are progressing towards your goals and assist you if you want to make changes.
Do I need to register with the NDIS before being matched with a Support Coordinator?
Yes. Before you can start Support Coordination with AMES, you will need to register with the NDIS. To get started, visit the NDIS website or contact our team on 13 AMES.
When you register with the NDIS, you’ll be invited to a planning meeting with an NDIS Local Area Coordinator. This person represents the NDIS and isn’t connected with AMES. So it’s important that during this meeting, you ask the NDIS Local Area Coordinator to connect you with us at AMES for Support Coordination.
What’s the difference between Support Coordination and Plan Management?
Support Coordination helps you Implement your plan and connect to services. Plan Management helps you manage the payment of those services, so that you can stay within your budget.
Why choose AMES for NDIS Support Coordination ?
- Your language: we understand that speaking in your language can be easier so we ensure an interpreter is available when working with you.
- Diversity experts: AMES has been working with refugees, migrants, and people from culturally and linguistically backgrounds for 70 years.
Disability experts: Our NDIS team have experience working with clients with disabilities and support services, and have knowledge of an extensive network of services and providers