About Skills First
Skills First offers:
- High-quality training that students and industry can trust, aligned to industry and workforce needs.
- A real voice for industry in training.
- Funding for high needs learners who need additional support to engage with and succeed in education and training.
- Access to targeted, relevant training for students in regional areas.
AMES Australia provides government-subsidised training places across many of our centres, and if you’re eligible for Skills First funding you may be able to complete your course for a reduced fee.
Students eligible for Skills First can enrol in General English courses, Work Skills, or learn the skills for jobs in specific industries such as Childcare or Aged care.
Skill First courses are delivered with Victorian funding for eligible applicants. People with disability are encouraged to apply.
AMES Australia is currently offering the following courses under Skills First:
- Skills for Work (Customer Service)
- English for Office Admin/ Customer Service
- English for Professionals
- Chinese Bilingual Class
- English for Living in Australia (Pre - SWE)
- English for Living, Working and Studying in Australia (CSWE I,II,III/ EAL)
- Certificate III in Individual Support (Aging, Home and Community)
Click here for more information of Skills First funded courses available at AMES Australia.
You can check if you are eligible for a government-subsidised place by using the government's online Victorian Skills Gateway Eligibility Indicator. You can also read the Skills First Program Student Eligibility Requirement fact sheet.
If you are referred to training under a special initiative, you may not need to meet certain criteria to be eligible for a Victorian government-subsidised place. Specific initiatives include:
- Asylum Seeker VET program initiative
- Latrobe Valley Initiative; Back to Work Scheme
- Automotive Supply Chain worker
- Jobs Victoria Employment Network
- Retrenched workers
- Clients and/or any other specific cohort as determined by the Department
If you have any questions about Skills First, contact us now.