Australian government announces a number of changes to support international students
Update: 20 July 2020
Australian government has announced a number of changes to international student visa arrangements to support international students through the Coronavirus crisis.
A summary of the five changes announced are as follows:
- The Government will recommence granting student visas in all locations lodged outside Australia. This means when borders re-open, students will already have visas and be able to make arrangements to travel.
- International students will be able to lodge a further student visa application free of charge, if they are unable to complete their studies within their original visa validity due to COVID-19.
- Current student visa holders studying online outside Australia due to COVID-19 will be able to use that study to count towards the Australian study requirement for a post-study work visa
- Graduates who held a student visa will be eligible to apply for a post-study work visa outside Australia if they are unable to return due to COVID-19.
- Additional time will be given for applicants to provide English language results where COVID-19 has disrupted access to these services.
We note that the legislative changes backing the announcements are yet to be introduced. We will closely monitor and keep you up to date of changes.
If you would like to obtain migration advice about your visa options, you can call us on 1300 98 70 71 or email us on Skilled.Migration.Service@ames.net.au and speak with a Registered Migration Agent.