Changes to Northern Territory GSM options
Update: 17 June 2020
The Northern Territory (NT) government announced changes to the nomination criteria under the General Skilled Migration Program that will come in to effect from 1 July 2020.
The changes will include extra residency and employability requirements for NT International students and other NT residents who wish to apply for a subclass 190 nomination. The updated requirements are as follows:
Applicants who start living in the NT on or after 1 July 2020 must:
- demonstrate that you have been residing in the NT for at least 12 consecutive months,
- demonstrate that none of your migrating dependants are residing in another part of Australia,
- demonstrate full-time employment in the NT in an eligible occupation for at least six consecutive months immediately prior to applying for NT nomination, and
- demonstrate that the employment is available for at least a further 12 months.
International student graduates who have studied in the NT will be eligible for a subclass 190 nomination if they have:
- successfully completed one or more qualifications after studying in the NT, at an NT-based institution for two years in a single tertiary course or a set of nested tertiary courses, and
- lived in the NT for a period of at least six continuous months immediately after the date of completion of the last qualification, while holding a visa that allows full-time work (this requirement does not apply to students who completed all course requirements in semester one 2020 and produce a letter of completion dated prior to 1 August 2020), and
- demonstrated genuine and sustained efforts to obtain employment** from an NT employer in your nominated occupation or a closely related skilled occupation.
For further information about the changes you can visit Migration NT website.
If you would like to obtain migration advice about your permanent residency options, you can call us on 1300 98 70 71 or email us on Skilled.Migration.Service@ames.net.au and speak with a Registered Migration Agent.