New Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List Announced
Acting Minister for Immigration Alan Tudge in a joint statement with Senator Michaelia Cash has announced a new Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL). The PMSOL allows small numbers of sponsored skilled workers to return to Australia to fill urgent skills needs in critical sectors, to help create Australian jobs and rebuild Australia’s economy.
The 17 occupations (ANZSCO code) are:
- Chief Executive or Managing Director (111111)
- Construction Project Manager (133111)
- Mechanical Engineer (233512)
- General Practitioner (253111)
- Resident Medical Officer (253112)
- Psychiatrist (253411)
- Medical Practitioner nec (253999)
- Midwife (254111)
- Registered Nurse (Aged Care) (254412)
- Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency) (254415)
- Registered Nurse (Medical) (254418)
- Registered Nurse (Mental Health) (254422)
- Registered Nurse (Perioperative) (254423)
- Registered Nurses nec (254499)
- Developer Programmer (261312)
- Software Engineer (261313)
- Maintenance Planner (312911)
Visa holders, who have been sponsored by an Australia business in a PMSOL occupation can request an exemption from Australia’s travel restrictions, but will be subject to a strict 14 days quarantine on arrival at their own expense.
Existing skilled migration occupation lists will remain active and visas will still be processed, but priority will be given to those in occupations on the PMSOL.
The announcement also indicated that a strengthened labour market testing requirement will be introduced to complement the PMSOL which will require the vacancy to be advertised on the Government’s JobActive website in addition to the existing labour market testing requirement.
We note that the above announcement has to be implemented via legislation. However, if you are seeking assistance with travel exemption or further information on the above changes, feel free to contact us 1300 98 70 71.